The University, using the barracks and temporary mobile unit models of World War II-type military housing, developed married student housing west of Emmet Street in the area north of the railroad. Over time the University discontinued this temporary housing used for the influx of older, married student families following World War II. The University developed garden-style apartments in a wooded area north of the temporary housing site and south of the current Barracks Road Shopping Center.
The University redeveloped the post-World War II housing area in 1965 with the construction of 8,457-seat University Hall to relocate major athletic uses from the by-then too small Memorial Gymnasium on Emmet Street. University Hall, like Memorial Gym, still exists and also is now used for smaller athletic and other events, having been supplanted by the 14,593-seat John Paul Jones Arena, which is used for UVA basketball, as well as musical and other public events. Both the Emmet/Ivy Parking Garage and the John Paul Jones Arena construction projects have incorporated best practices in stormwater management through creation of the Dell pond at the eastern edge of the Lewis Mountain Neighborhood, the constructed wetland at the garage, and the use of biofilters, vegetated swails, and a reconstructed flood plain as part of the arena landscape.
Educational uses developed relatively late within the Ivy Road development timeline. In 1939, St. Anne’s School, Charlottesville’s one private preparatory school for young women, had relocated to the western edge of the Lewis Mountain neighborhood and adapted a historic house and its environs to create a small academic campus. Early in its history, the St. Anne’s campus also housed a private kindergarten and the first elementary grades where well-off families sent their young children—both girls and boys. Later, after World War II, there was a small private elementary school overlooking the lake at Bellair, on the property that was developing within the corridor as Bellair, a large lot and exclusive subdivision with restrictive covenants restricting religious and racial backgrounds of property owners and residents. That school formed the basis for Belfield, a larger private elementary school that developed on a formerly rural residential property north of Bellair and east of Westover. Many of the families who lived in Farmington or within the Ivy Road Corridor sent their children to Belfield which later merged with St. Anne’s to form the current St. Anne’s Belfield School, which continues to operate two distinct private school campuses within this corridor. The University established its first dormitory for academic female students in 1954 with the construction of Mary Munford Hall (now part of the International Residential College) on an elevated site overlooking the southwest corner of the Ivy Road and Emmet Street intersection. Prior to its coeducation in 1970, the University admitted women in some schools, notably as upper-level undergraduates in its education school and in graduate programs.